Does your family complain about your loud snoring? Well, it could be more serious than you may realize. Sleep is important to living a healthy life, and snoring may be interrupting your sleep. Something else that may affect your sleep is sleep apnea. Sleep apnea is a chronic condition where you may have one or more pauses in your breath while sleeping. Dr. David Rosen of the Dental Sleep Medicine of New England in Lexington, MA and serving Northwest Boston and the surrounding areas is dedicated to helping treat your sleep apnea and reducing your nightly snoring.
What Affects Snoring?
There are many factors that may increase your chance of snoring each night.
Some things that may affect you are:
- Sleeping on your back- Sleeping on your back causes the mouth to open and the tongue to drop to the back of the throat, which closes off part of your breathing passage.
- Obesity- When a person is overweight, fat tends to build up near the neck and closes off part of the breathing passage.
- Alcohol- Alcohol causes the throat to relax and narrows the air passage.
- Cigarette smoke- Smoke increases nasal congestion and mucus in the throat.
Dangers of Snoring and Sleep Apnea
If you tend to snore a lot, your health may be at risk. If your snoring is due to sleep apnea, there are more health risks linked to snoring than you may realize.
Some of the dangers include:
- Heart attacks
- Accidents caused by sleepiness
- Decrease in productivity
Luckily, snoring can be treated. There are many options, and Dr. Rosen in Lexington, MA can help you pick which will be best for your lifestyle.An oral appliance is used to help with snoring and sleep apnea.
Some of the appliances used are:
- SomnoMed- An appliance that fits over the upper and lower teeth like a mouth guard.
- Narval CC- Helps reposition the mandible and is designed specifically to treat sleep apnea and is made with a 3D printing process.
- Herbst Advance- Looks like a mouth guard and allows the jaw to move any way except backwards.
Don't let snoring control your life! Call Dr. Rosen in Lexington, MA and serving Northwest Boston and the surrounding areas at (781) 674-2233 today to stop your snoring and finally get a good night's sleep!