Snoring and obstructive sleep apnea can lead to increased risk of:
- Relationship and marital discord. Loud snoring noises can disrupt the sleep of not only the snorer but also the snorer's bed partner and others in the household. This can be a source of great frustration and anger in their relationship.
- Heart attack, stroke, or even death. Research confirms that people with sleep apnea have a higher incidence of high blood pressure, heart attack, and stroke. It is estimated that 38,000 people in the United States die each year from the effects of obstructive sleep apnea.
- Industrial and traffic accidents caused by daytime sleepiness and fatigue. People with obstructive sleep apnea have a three times greater risk of having an automobile accident than the general population and a seven times greater risk of multiple accidents. The snorer's bed partner also has an increased risk of traffic accidents because of fatigue from disrupted sleep.
- Lost productivity at home and work from daytime sleepiness due to lack of restful sleep.
- Depression as a result of lost productivity, relationship discord, accidents, and health problems.